Sunday, October 26, 2003

It's recently been brought to my attention that there aren't nearly enough blogs, LiveJournals and the like. Worse yet, I'm told there's an alarming shortage of those devoted to comic books and comic-related websites.

If comic book blogs were endangered species, they'd be Bengal tigers or black rhinos. Or child actors who successfully made the transition to well-adjusted adults.

Yeah, they're that rare.

Okay, my information may be faulty. But I'm not willing to take the chance. Comics blogs must live on!

Because it's in my nature, I'm offering myself as the Siegfried and/or Roy of my generation, championing the plight of comics blogs like so many white tigers. I'll pass on the sequins, makeup and mullets, though. Thanks all the same.

With that in mind, I hope to provide a daily rundown of the comic book industry, providing summaries of interesting news on comics websites, and offering my take on things. If the stars align properly, I may do some occasional reviews. We'll see.

It's Sunday, which means it's time for "All the Rage" over at Silver Bullet Comic Books.

Man, how I miss Alan Donald. At least he reported actual gossip, instead of the disappointing results from an afternoon of message-board trolling. Seriously, that's a blog, not a gossip column.

I can't remember the last time I found Markisan's cobbled-together report even remotely interesting or informative.

Rob Liefeld's dropping names of creators who are just dying to work with him? No way! Mark Millar's pretending to misbehave? Get out of town!

The next thing you'll tell me is that Micah Wright is saying something to piss people off!

Markisan, you cheeky monkey!

Speaking of SBC and Alan Donald, would someone please put "The Panel" out of its misery? Surely, that column provides a convincing argument for mercy killings.

If you haven't been following the weekly car wreck, Alan asks a panel of supposed comics professionals questions like, "Why are there no Jewish superheroes?" and "Is Batman gay?" then steps back to let the good times roll.

It's no coincidence that the number of participating creators has steadily decreased while the number of SBC staff members has increased.

Bless Steven Grant and Terry Moore for staying with it week in and week out. It may have been a condition of their parole.

And just in case you were wondering, SBC's Tim Hartnett still hates Geoff Johns' writing.

You doubt me? Then read Tim's review of "Teen Titans" #4: "It's pretty sad that I have to stoop to such an immature phrase, but Teen Titans kinda sucks."

See? I told you.

If that's not enough to convince you, just wait until next week, when Tim undoubtedly will review more of Johns' work. Hate, hate, hate.

Oh, one more thing: Excuse me for a daily Columbo Moment. If anyone's reading this and anyone cares, my first published comic story, "Bad Elements," comes out this Wednesday in "Digital Webbing Presents" #11.