Saturday, December 06, 2003

Weekends aren't made for blogging: I've not been the best blogger this week. Usually, I obsessively check the comics sites looking for "news" and announcements, and post five or six items a day.

This week, however, I've been caught up in writing a short-story script (which I finished, thankyouverymuch) and working on a free-lance design project that's due next week. So, forgive me for my lackluster posting.

I get up this morning, ready to post before diving into real work, and find nothing. There's not a damned thing going on in comics. Most of the other comics bloggers realized that long ago, so they take weekends off.

But not me. I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Which brings me to "Courtney Crumrin." Really, it does. Bear with me.

I'd read scattered praise for Ted Naifeh's stories about an odd little girl who's sent to live with her warlock uncle, and encounters those Things That Go Bump in the Night. But because my local comics shop sucks, I hadn't been able to lay my hands on any of the books.

That all changed last weekend at Mid-Ohio Con, where I found the "Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics" collected digest (volume two in the series), and a stray single issue of "Courtney Crumrin and the Night Things."

What great, fun reads. Few books make me just smile, but that one did. I even forced it upon my sister, who doesn't read comics, and she had a similar reaction.

I just wish more comics triggered that same feeling in me, and in "non-readers."

The third series, "Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom," is set to debut Dec. 17. I'm going to buy it. I suggest you do, too.