Monday, March 22, 2004

Bracing for the invasion: Newsarama talks to Allan Jacobsen, co-writer of the upcoming Invaders relaunch. I'm worried:

"Basically, this is a story about a group of Idealists who are willing to go beyond borders to do what they believe is right. That being said, I want to be clear that this isn't a book about hate, and it isn't about disrespecting any real-world culture. It's about breaking down barriers the barriers that we've built between ourselves and inspiring disparate cultures to unite against a common threat."

"The new series has a different focus. There is a common enemy/threat that holds the new series together---an extension of what the Invaders battled in the original series, but more universal."

"Captain America – Well - 'a' Captain America. Wait and see. This character was part of the Invaders project before I came along. I admit I was hesitant at first about precisely how he fit in. After writing Invaders #1, he has quickly become one of my favorites. This is a man passionate about his commitment to his personal beliefs. Fiercely pro-soldier, though not necessarily pro-war. He's complex and extremely compelling to write."

Okay, if the new Invaders is a covert, "pro-active" quasi-military group -- featuring USAgent -- that hunts down superhuman terrorists, I'm going to ... to ... Eh, if anyone needs me, I'll be in my room reading tattered copies of Roy Thomas' old series.