Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Central character: The Pulse has an interview with Michael Lark, who talks about Gotham Central, his Eisner nominations, and the challenges of producing a monthly comic:

"The reality of producing a monthly comic makes that [not getting trapped in one style or genre] a fine line that I, or any other artist, have to walk. As an artist, I have to balance the need to get the book done on time with the need to experiment. So there are times when I have to rely on formula. Thankfully, with this book, our intention was to make it seem like a television cop drama, so it's ok sometimes to rely on grids or fairly formulaic page layouts to get the style across. I can use the same few establishing shots of the police headquarters or the squad room every time, just like they would in a TV show. If that's the best way to get the story told, then so be it. That being said, I don't want to bore the reader by doing the same type of scene the same way every time. And I don't want to bore myself either. So I look forward to, and rely on, those times when I'm in a good groove and those inspirations strike, when a new way to tell a certain sequence occurs to me. It's hard to plan on those, so it's always nice when it happens."