Friday, May 07, 2004

Angry, and proud of it: In Toronto's Eye Weekly, Guy Leshinski profiles Johnny Ryan, creator of Angry Youth Comix:

"As usual, Ryan's cut had hit its mark. 'I'm always glad to hear I'm annoying the uptight liberal prigs that are out there,' says Ryan, his snark-rimed monotone bristling over the phone from LA. He fondly recalls a review of one of his books at www.sequentialtart.com, a website for women in comics. The critic had warned her readers to avoid Ryan's work at any cost, writing solemnly, 'A bully can only be a bully if you allow him to intimidate you.' Ryan responded in his next issue with a story about a female cartoonist who's peed on by her all-male classmates and thrown out the window. 'Whenever I see people who really get irate about what I'm doing, I make a small effort to continue insulting them in my work.'"