Saturday, May 08, 2004

Exiting NYX: Yesterday on his message board (registration required), Josh Middleton explains why he's no longer working on Marvel's NYX, two issues sooner than originally planned. Apparently, it's "a combination of unforeseen conflicts, poor planning, and simple lack of production":

"To do good work takes time, and most importantly, careful planning. Good work is never the product of wishful thinking, nor are good working relationships. When goals are set and relationships and schedules are built around those mutually agreed upon goals, it is important for all parties involved to honor their commitments from the outset to the best of their abilities. When things go awry, honest assessment and full disclosure is imperative in keeping everyone united in finding a realistic solution to whatever has thrown the ship off course. Denial and that damnable wishful thinking cause immeasurable damage to a relationship built on trust. When you're chasing the carrot, you inevitably get the stick.

"With this in mind, I felt it was best that I end my involvement on NYX to hopefully facilitate the achievement of the decidedly different goals of Marvel and myself. I am immensely grateful for the opportunity I was provided with and the support I received while working on the title.

"There are many unforeseen obstacles to overcome in publishing as in life and blame could hardly be found in having to change the rules of the game to accommodate such events. It is only irritating when a train clearly destined for derailment is knowingly and continually boarded at the station, even when announcements of the inevitable are repeatedly being made.

"In the end, I will spare the details as to how Marvel could have done better in assisting this Prima Donna in achieving artistic excellence, and will simply say that it was my own lack of enthusiasm which ultimately led to my demise as interior artist. In my heart, I know that one must believe in what they are doing or the work will suffer immensely, if it is completed at all. I tend to think I am especially sensitive in this area, and though I try to keep things in perspective, if content or circumstance prevent me from properly engaging my heart, the work is over before it begins (though admittedly I may have manufactured a means to forgive myself too easily with this sentiment).

"If indeed it does speak to my lack of professionalism or my inexperience as a comic artist, or simply my arrogance, I have still managed to somehow forgive myself for quitting a game I could never win, and in many ways, had no desire to play in the first place. I sincerely hope that fans of my work on NYX will forgive me, too, and that I can hopefully win their attention once more on whatever is next."

(Link via the Brian Wood Forum.)