Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Age of discovery: In this week's installment of "The Basement Tapes," Joe Casey and Matt Fraction dig up some Back Issue Discoveries, including one of my childhood favorites, the Claremont/Sienkiewicz run on New Mutants. And Fraction's description of Claremont's writing is hilarious:

"I mean, it's ... purple, to say the least … it was, after all, mid-eighties Claremont, a Claremont at the height of his terrible, haiku-like, and logo-speaking powers. While there's something to be said for a writer having an immediately recognizable voice (even if it is through narration, and even if Tom Orzechowski's lettering is a lot of that recognize-ability), in my head now I think Chris Claremont's writing voice sounds exactly like Dr. Smith from the old LOST IN SPACE. Whenever I read any of his old stuff -- or, shit, even the new stuff he's got coming out with Alan Davis -- that's all I hear. The jolly nattering of a velveteen fop in space."