Thursday, October 28, 2004

Manga madness

The Fort Wayne (Ind.) Journal Gazette discovers the kids are mad for the manga -- mad, I tell you! Fourteen-year-old Trevor Walker knows what he likes:

“I like American comics, but I like other cultures’ stuff better. I don’t know why. The Japanese ones have a different feel … they’re edgy and graphic and cool.”

Luckily, Diamond's Kevin Bolk is there to explain things to the adults:

"There’s a (misconception) with many Americans that big eyes, visual tricks and a slick design sense make manga what it is, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Manga is a medium, not a genre. The stereotypical cute girls with huge eyes only represent a portion of what manga has to offer.

“I think anyone with an appreciation for good fiction can find a manga story they can enjoy. For this reason alone, manga is here to stay."