Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Rabbit season!



I'm really looking forward to Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers series, but I'm particularly interested in artist Ryan Sook's take on the underrated Zatanna (see image above). An intriguing -- and blonde -- version of her appears in the curious Books of Magick: Life During Wartime, and I'm told she gets some screen time in Identity Crisis. But too often Zatanna's portrayed as a vampish stage act, so it should be interesting to see Morrison and Sook's interpretation. (I'm a fan of Sook's work from B.P.R.D.: Hollow Earth and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, but couldn't make the leap with him to Hawkman.)

Morrison's vision for Klarion, the Witch Boy promises to be entertaining, too: “I’ve started from scratch and can only apologize to Peter David, who at least tried to keep this particular property in continuity. I’ve thrown all previous versions out to create the poster boy for the Puritan Goth weird horror genre. Klarion as Marilyn Manson." Art is by Frazer Irving.