Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Artistic license: I meant to mention this as part of last night's entry on DC's February solicitations, but got sidetracked. Anyway ...

John Jakala and Graeme McMillan both comment about DC's "purty covers," so I won't dwell on that. I will, however, point to a couple of interesting -- and, for mainstream comics, unconventional -- choices for cover artists.

I've already singled out Tara McPherson, whose "Lucifer" cover appears in December. She'll also be painting the covers for "The Sandman Presents: Thessalay, Witch For Hire." I love her work.

The other notable, and welcome, deviation is Tomer Hanuka's cover art for "Midnight, Mass: Here There Be Monsters" and "Hard Time" (as well as the other titles in the new Focus line).

Tomer is probably best known for his editorial illustrations in the New Yorker, and his work on the indy book "Bipolar."