Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Don't believe the hype: Joe Casey, in this week's "Waiting for Tommy," on the unwelcome trend of creators "dropping bombshells" in interviews:

"Hasn't the hype gotten out of hand? If I hear another loudmouthed creator jump online or taint the sacred, solemn pages of WIZARD Magazine with their bullsh*t blustering about how their version of (--insert character here--) or how their relaunch of (--insert superhero team here--) is going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and how it'll change the face of comics as we know it … I'm going to burn my treasured copy of AVENGERS #161 ('Beware the Ant-Man,' by Shooter/Perez) in supreme frustration. In fact, it's gotten to the point where if the hype is that something is going to 'change the face of comics,' you can pretty much guarantee that it won't. So, the idea of dropping 'bombshells' in interviews has completely lost its appeal for me, and I can only hope that my fellow creators follow suit. Besides, my real interview comes out in the next issue of THE COMICS JOURNAL #257. That's the one where all the bodies are buried …"