Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Restless days and sleepless nights: Well, that was a wasted day. I was up most of the night because of a minor health emergency in my family (everything's fine now), and spent most of today dazed from lack of sleep.

Although I didn't get around to comics blogging (sorry about that), I did do further research into my two latest obsessions: changeling folk legends and the cultural circumstances that spawned them, and the troubling practice of foundation sacrifice (in which people were entombed in walls, floors or structural supports to appease spirits and ward off harm).

The two aren't directly connected, except that both involved the ghastly treatment of children, but I've found myself fascinated by them. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what I'll do with any of the information. I imagine at least some of it will end up in one comics project or another.

Speaking of comics projects, here's an update for anyone who cares (and even those who don't): My 16-page "Bad Elements: Good For the Soul" is just awaiting final scheduling in Digital Webbing Presents; it looks as if it'll appear sometime this summer. Art is by Brian Churilla, with grayscales by Eric Erbes. I'll post preview art as soon as I'm able.

Brian's also finishing up an eight-page horror story that should appear in the DWP Halloween issue.

Within the next couple of weeks, I hope to write two more short-story scripts (one a horror story set in 14th century France, the other a sad little fairy tale set in the deserts of western China). Then I dive into the deep end as I start work on the Bad Elements series. Well, at least that's the plan.

But enough about me. I'll return to the regularly scheduled comics blogging tomorrow.