Monday, March 15, 2004

June, she'll change her tune: DC Comics' solicitations for June are up, with seven debuts and a handful of noteworthy offerings:

The Big Event of the Month is the first issue of Brad Meltzer's Identity Crisis, which centers on the murder of a DCU superhero. The rumor mill pointed to Elongated Man, then Black Canary, as the victim, but both appear long-faced on the cover, along with Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, Flash, Hawkman and Zatanna. So, who's left? Hawkgirl? Martian Manhunter? Kyle Rayner? Hey, maybe this is clearing the way for the return of Hal Jordan. Hey, maybe I don't really care who dies (but can't help but speculate anyway).

Sam Keith's five-part Batman: Scratch debuts, with the Dark Knight going up against a werewolf when children start disappearing in a small town. Although the world could go on without another Batman miniseries, I have a soft spot for werewolf stories.

Howard Chaykin's Challengers of the Unknown miniseries premieres, too, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. His recent work has been fairly inconsistent.

The Sandman just keeps on giving, this time spawning another ongoing series called The Witching, which explores the Triple Goddess concept in a new form. I'm not sure Vertigo's version of The Craft (or maybe Charmed) looks that promising, but the series does feature covers by Tara McPherson. I'll pick up the first issue for that alone.

I hope the DC Hype Machine kicks into full gear for Wildstorm's Ex Machina, the new series by Brian K. Vaughan, Tony Harris and Tom Feister. I'd buy this just to see Harris' sequentials again, but having Vaughan as the writer makes the political thriller a no-brainer. I'm buying it.

It's a big month for Sleeper, too, as the second trade paperback hits the shelves, followed quickly by the beginning of Season Two.

Here's what else looks promising (well, to me at least):
* Gotham Central #18 -- always a good read, but this issue features Penguin and Mad Hatter
* Catwoman #32 -- Sean Phillips steps in as artist on a standalone story, which means I can actually pick up this book again; well, at least for one issue
* 100 Bullets #50 -- Azzarello and Risso's story of crime and conspiracy reaches the halfway point
*The Losers #13 -- a new two-part story begins; that's good enough for me