Friday, April 23, 2004

Comics odyssey: Archaeology magazine talks to Age of Bronze creator Eric Shanower about trying to sell a Trojan War epic in a market largely populated by superheroes:

"I knew it was going to be a hard sell, this is not something that people generally thought of as comic book material, telling the story of the Trojan War. But I was confident that it was a story that would be fascinating for people to read, once they gave it a chance. I ran the idea by many different publishers. I had originally a small publisher who was interested, they were just starting up their public publishing program, but it was taking a long time for them to get going, so finally I realized I just better look for some other opportunities. The publisher that I ended up with, it was actually quite easy. A friend in the comic book industry, who I had met many years before, was now in the position that he could give me the green light, whether he would publish this or not, and he saw some of my samples. I wasn't even showing them to him, trying to get it published by him, I was just showing him because this is what I was working on. And he looked at it and he goes, 'Oh, I'll publish this.' So that's how it happened, it was just sort of serendipity."

(Link via Newsarama.)