Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Renaissance man: Broken Newz talks to actor / writer / composer Bill Mumy about television, movies and comic books:

"... I've been a big fan of comic books since I was a little kid. In fact, I used to write and draw my own comic books when I was on the old Lost in Space series. (still have 'em in storage! Ooooh, 'Captain Panther and the Fox' 'The Comb and his crime busting beauty Caramia!' pretty funny stuff!) Anyway, in the mid 80's I was spending a fortune buying old Golden Age books from the late 30's and 40's and I was making personal appearances at a lot of sci fi and comic book conventions all around the country here so that I could find books for my collection. At one of these cons I struck up a friendship with Jim Shooter who was running Marvel Comics at the time. We kicked a few ideas around and that led to me and my friend, fellow actor and musician Miguel Ferrer creating and writing a mini series for Marvel called The Comet Man. Halley's Comet was due to pass by soon, so it was a timely idea. A fairly traditional super hero origin that then went into a non-traditional dark story. Marvel liked it and the six issue mini series sold over half a million copies."