Saturday, June 12, 2004

I gotta be meme: I'm really bad at these "dream team" games, but it's Saturday, and Blogger is barely limping along. And Shane and Rick are doing it. So, for what they're worth:

Martian Manhunter by Steve Niles and Chris Bachalo. What's not to love about a Martian Manhunter series? It has everything: sci-fi, horror, pulp crime. It's all there. As the reigning king of comics horror, Niles is an obvious choice for the scarier aspects, but he also can write detective stories and sci-fi (look for a little of the latter in October). Bachalo's ever-evolving style has been bordering on the grotesque as of late, so he's ideal for depicting the adventures of a shape-shifting alien.

Nick Fury by Darwyn Cooke. Yeah, yeah, Rick and Shane are calling for a return to the swingin' '60s Steranko version. I am, too. Sort of. I'd love to see Cooke let loose, a la DC: The New Frontier, in a post-World War II Marvel Universe. Continuity be damned: throw in the Black Widow, Union Jack and a few other Cold War refugees for non-stop spy action.

Robin and Batgirl by Sean McKeever and Takeshi Miyazawa. Let's get back to the fun times of the old Batman Family comics, and let McKeever and Miyazawa work their magic to appeal to a younger crowd. Super-villains, homework and teen angst!

Dr. Strange by Warren Ellis and Barry Windsor-Smith. Give me Ellis before he started believing his own PR, and Windsor-Smith ... well, anytime.

Eh, that's all I got. See? I told you I was bad at these things.