Monday, October 11, 2004

Christopher Reeve dies: Christopher Reeve, the man most think of when you say "Superman," died Sunday of heart failure. He was 52. The Associated Press reports he fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest at his Bedford, N.Y., home.

Reeve broke his neck in May 1995 when he was thrown from a horse during an equestrian competition. He endured months of physical therapy to be able to breathe for periods without a respirator, and went on to become an advocate for spinal cord research. He returned to directing, and even acting with roles in Smallville and a 1998 production of Rear Window, among others.

But it was his role as the Man of Steel that Reeve probably will best be known. He first donned the cape in 1978, moving from a relatively unknown actor to an international star. He reprised the role three more times, but often worried about being typecast:

"Look, I've flown, I've become evil, loved, stopped and turned the world backward, I've faced my peers, I've befriended children and small animals and I've rescued cats from trees. What else is there left for Superman to do that hasn't been done?"