Monday, January 31, 2005

Creator profile: Robert Kirkman

Canada's Exclaim! spotlights Invincible and The Walking Dead writer Robert Kirkman:
In addition to the creator-positive independence Kirkman enjoys at Image, he’s also done a chunk of recent work for more controlling bosses at Marvel; he’s careful when comparing the atmosphere between the two. “They both have their upsides and downsides, and I enjoy them both equally. I like Image for the freedom, but it’s a hell of a lot of work to manage and basically be the editor on the books I do there. With Marvel, I’m as involved as I want to be, which in most cases is a lot, but it’s nice to know that if I really wanted to, I could just turn in a script and move on. It’s nice to know that there are qualified and dedicated people looking over your shoulder. I enjoy the safety net. With Marvel, I feel like if I do anything too stupid or crazy, someone will tell me. So I go all out. At Image, I can fall flat on my face and it’ll be all my fault. But I can do anything in my Image books and that gives me the freedom to really explore the characters.”