Wednesday, March 09, 2005

David Hahn's 'Fables' ... and Dynasty

The Pulse talks with David Hahn -- who just launched his website, called Hahn Dynasty -- about his stint on DC/Vertigo's Fables for the two-issue "Jack Be Nimble" storyline:

"I really fret about what the fans are going to think. People either love or hate my style, so playing with other people's toys makes me nervous sometimes. ... When I turned the first book in (#34), I was really worried that it wouldn't pass muster with the fans because my style is so economical and no frills. The artists who have preceded me had much more lush, storybook types of styles, with fancy page designs, filigree, and panel decorations. Being a typical, second-guessing, insecure artist type, I thought my fill-ins would fall flat on their face. As it turns out, I've had a number of readers tell me that my style was perfect for this specific story. Because it takes place in the normal world, a normal, un-fancified rendering style is what was most appropriate. So it all worked out well."