Thursday, November 13, 2003

Flying the coop: On Monday, Rich Johnston teased that the next "Hawkman" creative team would be Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray and Ryan Sook. Okay, it was more than a tease, seeing as how Wednesday's "Waiting For Tommy" interview was with current "Hawkman" writer Geoff Johns.

In the seven-page Q&A, Johns reveals, "No one's more unhappy to see Rags, Michael and I leave 'Hawkman' with #25 than the creative team itself. Rags and I were having a great time on the book, and I really think we made leaps and bounds during the last year in terms of the quality of the book."

Today, The Pulse runs with the story, and Johns fans the world over react (or is that overreact?) ... negatively:

"Well Im dropping this now, Johns was the only reason I bought Hawkman; a character I never really liked. Ill probably not even finish his run and will cut it before the JSA crossover."

"This is supposebly his dream comic that took forever to get going and now he's leaving? Okay. I won't be there."

"and one comic book off my list!"

And at the DC Comics Hawkman message board:

"Tis a sad, sad day."

"Boo."

"It is sad news. And even a little frightening."

Me? I've never read "Hawkman," but if Ryan Sook is the new artist, I'll probably give it a whirl. I loved his work on "Arkham Asylum: Living Hell."