Monday, December 01, 2003

"Titans" talk: In this week's SBC column, Marv Wolfman plugs the long-rumored "New Teen Titans" graphic novel, "Games." (You didn't think I could let a week pass without a "Games" link, did you?)

Interestingly, Wolfman acknowledges the weaknesses of his '80s work, but wonders whether more contemporary writing trends have lost something vital:

"Both George and my styles have changed a lot since those days. I know back then I tended to write lots of dialogue and many, many captions, often with lots and lots of purple prose, whereas these days I try to be a lot more concise in my writing. Fact is, today’s comics eschew captions as well as lots of dialogue. I am, of course, aware that styles change; old ones go away and new ones replace them, but I find a lot of the dialogue today is so short and to the point that the rambling nature of fun dialogue is lost. Yes, today’s craft is unquestionably better than much of what was done back in the 70s and 80s, but in making the dialogue more realistic, more movie-driven and less melodramatic, I think some of the, dare I say it, corny fun used back then is gone, too."