Thursday, April 22, 2004

Voice from the past: At Silver Bullet Comic Books, Clifford Meth reprints part of an interview he conducted with Stan Lee some 18 years ago. The passage of time makes for a jarring and surreal disconnect:

Meth: "How is your relationship with Jack Kirby these days?"

Lee: "I don't think we’re as friendly now. He isn't as friendly toward me as I wish he were. I'm not really 100% sure that I know what the reason is. Maybe he feels he is not as well known or he feels that I've achieved a little more something than he has. I don't know. He has never told me. Jack is certainly one of the most talented if not the most talented guy that the comic book industry has ever produced. He is the most imaginative, most creative guy I have ever known in this business. His mind is an endless source of stories, concepts, and ideas. He was a fantastic artist with one of the most powerful, dramatic styles you could ever find. I've always said that. I've always felt that about him and I still do."