Wednesday, September 08, 2004



Question and answer: The Pulse chats with Tommy Lee Edwards about the new Question series:

"I've never really felt comfortable drawing super-hero stuff. When it's done well, I love to read the stuff -- but I just have a hard time feeling like I'm good at it. Give me a guy in a suit with a hat and I'm just fine. The specific challenge on The Question is primarily in the storytelling. Rick Veitch's scripts are incredibly smart, and there is a lot for me to convey to the reader that can get pretty complex. Rick and I are really giving the reader their money's worth on this series. Personally, the most intriguing part of The Question is the way in which I'm attempting to illustrate the series. Mostly because of Ditko: I see The Question as a very 1960s character. I have an idea in my head of how I see this world. Getting that printed on the page is a whole different story. I've been able to really let my '60s illustration influences come through on this thing. I often find myself channeling Al Parker, Coby Whitmore, Bob Peak, Bernie Fuchs, Austin Briggs, and many more to get into the 'mind-set'. Every day in the studio I tell myself that I'm making a movie of The Question in 1963 starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn."

I have an issue or two of the O'Neil/Cowan '80s, but have no real affection for the character. However, after seeing some of Edwards' pages, I'm off to DCBS to amend my November order.