Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Milligan: 'Almost two years feel about right'

At Comic Book Resources, Peter Milligan discusses the cancellation of Human Target:
"The positive is that we will have done about 21 episodes, which is a fair amount for this kind of book, and if I'd been told I'd write that many at the outset I'd probably have been a little surprised. Almost two years feel about right. That said, it has been strange, as there's been so much positive reaction to this title. I have heard that one of the things that's stopped it being more commercially successful is that Vertigo readers are more interested in seeing new characters and creations rather than what is, when all's said and done, a rehash (albeit a brilliant one!) of an old an old title, and one that might not have exactly set the world alight the first time around.

"I'm not sure how much longer we would have wanted to keep the series going. The major stories that I'd wanted to tell had been told so this would have been led by how many good and fresh new stories I could come up with. I would have hated to have limped along, keeping this title going for the sake of it, with stories that dropped in quality, or with story that I wasn't really compelled to write."