Saturday, December 13, 2003

"Babies like -- iron": How did I miss this when I was running down Dark Horse's list of March releases?

The 40-page reprint of "Hellboy: The Corpse" -- complete with behind-the-scenes art from the film -- is just 25 cents. Smart marketing.

What would be even smarter is a plan to distribute the book beyond comics shops. I know it's likely too late to strike deals with book and magazine distributors, but "The Corpse" reprint is ideal for the book market and newsstand sales (grocery stores, etc.).

Better yet, what about shipping copies to theaters in major markets for the first few weeks of the film's release (either to sell or to give away)? I can remember as a kid buying some sort of slick magazine/programs at the showing of "Superman II" and, very possibly, "Return of the Jedi." Do they still do things like that? (Jesus, I sound old. Wait. Maybe I am.)

Gah! I had a whole essay about cross-promotions and comics retailers taking some cues from the book market. Then BlogSpot freaked out and ate it. Maybe I'll piece it together and post it later. Curse you, Blogspot!