Thursday, February 24, 2005

Profile: 'Star Wars' artist Brian Ching

Star Wars: Expanded Universe interviews Star Wars comic artist Brian Ching (Republic, Obsession, Empire):

"Drawing technical things like the ships and weapons is a real challenge for me. I am so impatient with rulers and ellipse templates that drawing that stuff some times drives me nuts. I much prefer to do everything freehand but I am working on my patience. However it's extremely rewarding drawing a page that I'm really satisfied with. I do a bit of planning with layouts and roughs but sometimes I just don't know how the page will turn out until I am done. Sometimes you're able to be spontaneous and go in a direction where every line you put down seems to work -- it's quite exhilarating. There is no feeling like it when a page comes out okay."