Monday, April 11, 2005

(Insert appropriately maudlin headline here)

Well, this is it. After some 1 1/2 years, 2,550 posts and 264,865 words (according to Blogger, at least; I think it's more), I'm pulling the plug on Thought Balloons. No more almost-daily linkblogging for me, thank you.

I'm not "leaving" in a huff -- I'm not really "leaving" at all, if you'll read on -- or getting a handsome promotion or anything exciting like that. I just don't find Thought Balloons particularly fun any more. In fact, following comics industry "news" day in and day out has diminished my enjoyment of the comics medium. My head's so full of nonsense about Countdown backlash, publisher misdeeds and monthly sales performances that when it comes time to actually read one of the comics or graphic novels stacked around my office, the interest just isn't there.

So, instead of moping about the state of the industry, or complaining that comics aren't fun any more, I'm turning my attention to what does interest me: horror, fantasy and, to a lesser extent, science fiction.

If you'll pop over to Dark, But Shining, you'll discover a new blog devoted to those very things as they pertain to comics, prose, TV and film. Rick Geerling and I will be joined by a couple of other contributors to provide reviews, essays, interviews and more on everything from the genius of Ray Bradbury to the world of B.P.R.D. to the folklorish elements of horror (and the horror elements of folklore). It's definitely a work in progress, but I hope it'll be an interesting one.

One of the reasons I began blogging back in October 2003 was my desire to escape the insanity of comics message boards. But now I find myself missing some of the interaction and ongoing dialogue (though intelligent dialogue seems in short supply in most forums). Thought Balloons provided me with an outlet, but it never seemed conducive to much actual discussion. I'm hoping a group blog dedicated to reviews, essays and the like will offer a happy middle ground between the solitude of Thought Balloons and the din of message boards.

Thanks to everyone who visited Thought Balloons. I hope you'll give Dark, But Shining a try.